Sunday, September 30, 2012

FRIENDS IN FIRENZE


Arrived in Firenze....Florence, yesterday. The week long drive thru Tuscany was nothing compared to the drive into the Florence airport.....all I will say is I NEVER want to do that again . After regrouping and debriefing, Jane, Donna, Tom and I checked into our fabulous B&B Residenza Johlea, and headed out to discover Florence. We found the Duomo, fabulous! We continued on thru town, wandering thru the San Lorenzo market, and over the Ponte Vecchio bridge.
This city is amazing and gorgeous at night. We had dinner on the other side of the bridge, at Ringo's bar, a little spot that serves famous burgers.....
And they lived up to their reputation. This morning we did a walking tour, with an English speaking guide. I thought things were going well, but wasn't sure about what she kept referring to as the Matterhorn, I thought maybe it was a museum I hadn't heard about. Then we saw some of the 25,000 Italians that were running today's Marathon, and I realized with her accent, I had misunderstood her.
It got real interesting when, trying to keep up with the tour, I started to cross the road, only to be stopped by a race Marshall, and there I was, surrounded by marathoners, all I could do was laugh and wait for a break in the action. I am sure a few runners are still cursing me. The highlight of the tour was our visit to the Galleria dell'Accademia, to view the statue of David. I am in no way, shape, or form, an art buff, but I was blown away by the beauty of this masterpiece.
We spent the remainder of the day, unfortunately, finding out how to get to our next destination, Lucca. I say unfortunately because the regional trains are planning a one day strike tomorrow, so we have to take the bus. All in the name of adventure, I say.....We say goodbye to Jane and Donna in the morning, as they are heading to Venice.....stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment